Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Step 6: Wheels Go On

Today I put the wheels back on the Mirage. Looks really cool. As you can tell from the picture, the front shell windows have been removed. They are made of tinted Plexiglass, and being 26 years old are checked and very brittle. The rubber seals are too hard to be used again. I will need to research replacements.


Notice that the striping is being removed for the paint prep. I purchased a $10 heat gun at Harbor Freight to accomplish this. Comes off pretty easy, just have to be careful not to get it too hot. When it gets too hot it actually gets too soft, and is harder to remove.


Here is a picture of the underside of the hood. As I mentioned in a previous post, the hood has issues. It appears that it was pushed in at one time, and someone pushed it back up and then used expanding foam to brace between the cross bracing and the hood sheet metal. This will be unacceptable in this build. I have found a couple good used hoods, but they are an hours drive from here, so that will have to wait till I have time to travel. I spent the rest of the afternoon re-arranging and cleaning up the shop for body paint prep. I am constructing a temporary paint booth, and I will post some pictures of that when it is completed. That's all for now, time to go back to work for a few days. CAIO

6 comments:

  1. Randall,
    Hi, I'm looking at a 1984 Mirage as well. It will need extensive reno work, as I doubt they've even replaced a wiper blade. It is so cut, but I'm just wondering how long the interior reno might take and how much it might cost. This model had a porta potty, which I would like to remove and install a wet bath across from the galley (unless there's room for a dry bath, do you believe there is?). Also, I'm thinking I will have to replace carpet, bed/dinette cushions, wall coverings, likely lighting fixtures, who knows what else? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a 1984 toyota mirage and gutted it and on the fiberglass under everything there is mold and moister how do you clean it out. When I mean I gutted it I took everything out except the dashboard. Now I need much help re building but first I want to clean the inside any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tap tap... anybody there? Guess what? I am THE OWNER of your mirage now. Pretty sure because it showed up with that same DOXON license plate surround. So... you tried. Let's just say that there's even MORE work to be done on it now. Big squishy mold spore machine. I call it "The Cloud" and use it currently to store junk, Aka: cloud storage. har har har. Planning lots of fiberglass restore to fix the mold problem. Mold in core. eeeewww

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please email me. Have questions for you. If you live nearby, you can come over for a visit and beerz. SE PDX

      Delete
  4. Hey Christine! Last summer I picked up an '84 Mirage of my own in Cleveland, Ohio, & it sounds like it's got the same problem you and Tom encountered. Water leaked around the windows into the honeycomb core of the SIP fiberglass coach wall and softened up the floor. Fixing up my Mirage isn't my first priority now, and I get the impression "The Cloud" isn't at the top of your list either. But I'd love to compare notes if and when either of us gets around to this. (P.S. - I used to live in SE PDX, back in '09. Other side of the country now, though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damon. Just saw your note. I'm full tilt working on the RV this summer/fall. It's a LOT of work, but I'm going to kill that mold. You can email me. c e stamper at gmail

      Delete